Project Blog Post - "DIY Instrument Project" (4|9|18 - 4|15|18)

DIY Instrument - Project Blog Post
Summary: This project was when we had to create an original instrument using our knowledge of sound. Our instrument had to be able to play three notes. While completing the labs for this project and annotating notes, I learned that a wave has several parts to it, such as the trough and crest. I learned that the crest is the highest part of a sound wave and that when sound waves are compressed, they create a higher pitch compared to sound waves that are less compressed. 

Backward-Looking: What process did you go to produce this piece? I went through a long, slightly aggravating process to produce this piece. We did a couple of labs (I actually missed out on one...) to help boost our understanding of the topic, but from having learned about sound last year (with the added bonus of being in band!) I didn't struggle too much with figuring out how I was going to incorporate percussion, wind, and string into my instrument. 

Inward-Looking: What did/do you find frustrating about this piece?
 I found the testing of this instrument incredibly frustrating (not the actual testing-- pretesting to make sure everything worked) because I had to fix my "wind" part so many times. I used straws and I used tape to hold it together, but because the tape was really loose, the straws would either fall out or would be all lopsided. Not just that, but there were air bubbles when I used tape to cover up the holes on the other sides of the straws, so I had to tear that off and use hot glue. I also used some metal "clips" and because metal retains heat, I had to lift up my fingers every couple of seconds so I didn't burn myself (I used hot glue.).

Outward-Looking: What do your classmates particularly notice about your piece? Definitely the cylinder pill holder that I used as my shaker. If I showed my friend my instrument, she would ask, "Did you use actual pills?" and I would respond, "No. I used Legos. This pill box is ANCIENT." I think most of them noticed it because of how big it was. And also because it used to hold medicine.

Forward-Looking: One thing I would like to improve upon is... the wind part of my instrument. I really, really, really disliked how my wind part turned out. The straws hardly worked at all and it took me for-EVER to get the straws to the right size. Then having to go back and keep taping it in place and hot gluing it was just a stretch. Yeah.... if given a choice, I would probably improve on just getting better materials so it turned out the way I wanted. (Or rather, envisioned.)

Image Link: Courtesy of Aanchal Vyavaharkar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Circulatory (Cardiovascular) System

The Renal (Excretory, Urinary) System

10/24 Interdependence of Organisms