Project Blog Post - "Geologic Time Project" (10|2|17-10|8|17)

Geologic Time - Project Blog Post

Summary: This project was when we had to research different eras of the Geologic Time Scale (GTS) and create an interactive product that teaches others about the eras. There was really no limit to how interactive it was or how it was done, just as long as it was a physical product and was actually interactive (to some extent). However, while completing this project, I learned a lot about the different eras, like in the Paleozoic era, a centipede-like creature roamed the earth and stretched to be about 6 feet long. I also learned that in the Mesozoic era, most of the dinosaur genera were widespread across the three periods, with some of the last dinosaur genera being the titanosaur (the last of the sauropod dinosaurs and being one of the last of the long-necked dinosaur genera). 

Backward-Looking: How much did you know about the subject before we started? I knew that the dinosaurs were some of the main species living in the Mesozoic era and that an asteroid around 10-20 kilometers wiped them out along with lots of other species. I also knew that some mammal-like reptiles roamed the earth and were given a classification of their own which was therapsids, meaning "mammal-like reptiles". I also knew that dinosaurs have evolved into birds, which is hinted by the archaeopteryx, a predatory bird-like dinosaur that bears striking resemblance to today's turkey vulture. (I certainly feel that way, if you compare the fossil to a vulture skeleton.)

Inward-Looking: How do you feel about this piece of work? What parts of it do you particularly like/dislike? Why? What did/do you enjoy about this piece/work?
 I feel incredibly proud of this piece of work because I spent so long researching the exact species of dinosaurs, plants, and other organisms to teach others. The part of the finished product that I enjoyed was probably my own (I did the Mesozoic era) because I spent so long on the painting so it would stand out. I liked creating smaller flaps to fit inside the bigger "era flap". The part that I disliked was probably gluing it down, seeing as the paint gave it a "rise" when it dried, so gluing down the corners was a pain. I enjoyed getting the feedback from others when they reviewed our piece because it helps me reflect on myself and grow as a person so I can improve in the future.

Outward-Looking: If someone else were looking at the piece, what might they learn about who you are? If someone else was looking at our finished product, they would learn that I am a very visual person and that I prefer to paint a picture (excuse the mediocre joke if you will) to show my understanding of the topic, rather than writing up a report. They would also learn that I like to put some humor (even if it is short-lived) into my projects. They would learn that I also prefer to read and learn, and try to be as specific about a topic as possible.

Forward-Looking: What would you like to spend more time on in school? I would like to spend more time on learning about biology and learning about other animals and their special "powers", like how a chameleon relies on structural changes that affect how light reflects off of their scales to change their coloring, or how an octopus can change its color by changing the amount of pigments. I would also like to explore a little bit more in different genera of animals or dinosaurs and find out what actually separates them from other generas of the same species (for one, how does pantala differentiate from leucorrhinia?).

Image Link: Don't expect perfection from geologists; they all have their faults.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Circulatory (Cardiovascular) System

The Renal (Excretory, Urinary) System

10/24 Interdependence of Organisms