10/31 "Interdependence of Organisms - 2"

             Interdependence of Organisms

Summary:
I learned about the parasitic relationships, commensalism relationships, and mutualism relationships. Parasitic relationships mean that a small parasite, such as fleas land on an unsuspecting animal. The animal gets itchy which makes it uncomfortable for it while the fleas get benefited. Commensalism relationships mean that one animal such as a bird decides to build a nest on a tree. The tree doesn't even care. Mutualism means that one animal and another animal both get benefited, such as an ox-pecker and a rhino. The ox-pecker eats the ticks and other bugs that are bothering the rhino, and the rhino gives the ox-pecker food and shelter. The ox-pecker is also like a warning system - letting the rhino know if danger is approaching.

Backward-Looking Reflection:
I didn't know about the rainforest and all it's symbiotic relationships, such as parasitic,commensalism, and mutualism. I learned about it in 4th grade, with my math teacher who also taught us the rainforest in the afternoon. I did not know that blue moth would disappear if several acres of rainforest land was cut down. I also didn't know that disappearing frogs was a warning system that our planet is not as healthy as it was.


Inward-Looking Reflection: I liked my work this week because I got to study the animals of the rainforest and I learned about the energy flow of plants, which was interesting to me. It was a lot of work studying but I liked it. Especially the part where we got to choose an animal to study. I liked working with my friends and taking a virtual tour of the rainforest was lots of fun, reading how they survived and how they reproduced.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Circulatory (Cardiovascular) System

The Renal (Excretory, Urinary) System

10/24 Interdependence of Organisms